Christianity Is "Cullenism" Blasphemous?

Cinders posted on Jul 14, 2009 at 11:55PM
I was going to ask this on the link spot, but figured I'd get more of a response here.

You're all probably familiar with the Twilight phenomenon that's brainwashed a generation of young girls. Well, now they've invented a "religion" called "Cullenism." Of course, it's not a real religion. It's not recognized by anyone outside of Twilight fans as a REAL religion. However, it has made its way to link and the link posted there about the "rules" of Cullenism is rather disturbing to me, and I'm not religious!

For example, if I were a Christian, I would be insulted that they're changing the name of Christmas to "Cullenmas" as Edward Cullen didn't die for their sins-- Christ did!

Now, like I said, I know these are just kids putting on costumes and pretending they've founded a new religion, but still, what do you guys, as bona fide Christians, think of this "impostor religion"? Is this a violation of Biblical laws? "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Playing around or not, have these crazy Twilight fans indulged in worshiping a false god? How do you see this new phenomenon, from a Christian perspective? And could a person legitimately call themselves a Cullenist and a Christian at the same time?

Christianity 34 جوابات

Click here to write a response...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک mandapanda said…
I'm a Christian, maybe not as strong as I should be, but I still am. And just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you can't have fun. "Cullenmas", I think is kind of ridiculous. Just like alot of the other Twilight related holidays. It's kind of like the other characters birthdays. People throw birthday parties for them. It's great that people can be passionate about the books, as am I, but mentally believing that he/she was born on a certain day is rather upsetting. I'm obsessed with Twilight, but I'm not one of the fangirls. I like to discuss. On the Twilight spot, I argue with the gossip about the actors rather than Twilight questions!

Sorry to get off topic. I know "Cullenmas" is probably just for fun, but if it becomes legal and actually celebrated by a majority, then yes, I would be somewhat offended. But I think it's pretty harmless. It's annoying sometimes, yes, to see all the "holidays" and the crappy merchandise, but I bare it. And just because I'm a Christian does not mean that I don't like Twilight. I'm obsessed with Twilight like I said before, but I don't worship it in a way that it takes place of my religion.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Cinders said…
Thanks for that perspective, it's very helpful. I know you can like Twilight and be Christian, I don't think those are mutually exclusive. I don't think that liking a book or a movie, no matter what it is, can make you less religious. I was just asking specifically about ascribing to "Cullenism." Because you can be a fan of Twilight, but not a Cullenist.

I know it's just for fun, but like I said, I was just curious if anyone religious found it offensive, like they were using Christian values like some sort of mythic template. I'm really glad you answered, though, because it helps put things in perspective. Thanks!
your welcome. And great article. I never thought about it like that before :)
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Euri said…
Ok… this “Cullenism” thing… it’s just weird! I personally don’t like Twilight (I don’t like vampires in general) and I think it’s sad the extremes that Twilight fanatics are going to. A religion! A RELIGION!!!!! It’s insane, that’s what it is, I don’t mean to offend but really! If your willing to set up a foundation for a religion on a book series… and I know some of the fans who may be part of the Cullenism aren’t serious but that doesn’t matter, the thing is they are willing to be part of this religion (no matter their background and what their religion is, you can’t be part of two religions) its very sad and… disturbing.
And the thing about Cullenmas, is strange, and weird, and the rules… I’m sorry but that’s just sad…
In a more Christian perspective, I still think its insane (IT’S A BOOK!!!!), but if there are any Christians part of this Cullenism, I think they need to spend some time in God’s word, there it states clearly that you should not have any other god before the Lord, if a BOOK has become a foundation for their religion, even if they are just “joking around” but in this case I don’t think you can just “joke around”, the book series has defiantly become a idol in their lives and they REALY need to fix that problem.
But this raises more questions to my mind, mainly, what is so great about this book that a religion was started? I mean I know the religion isn’t very serious or anything, but you don’t hear about Narnianity or Lord of the Ringism… or anything like that! Why is this book so… liked? Hype maybe? I don’t know but its really getting creepy, and out of control!
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک TheLadyGaGaFan said…
angry
I am a Cullenist, and I think if I am comfortable with it, as are many Twihards, then other people should KEEP THEIR OPINIONS TO THEMSELVES and let us worhip in peace. We do not bag other religions, and so people who bag Cullenism GET. A. LIFE.
Fabulous! A real live specimen!

Are you also a Christian? If so, do not your Cullenist beliefs conflict with your Christian beliefs? Are you taking this religion seriously, or is it more like a "club"? And if so... what makes the Cullens god-like? Do you believe they actually exist? What are the tenants of your religion? Do they bear any resemblence to Mormonism? So many questions, so little time!
TheLadyGaGaFan:

this article was IN NO WAY bagging Cullenism. And you mentioned worshipping Twilight in your comment. Do you honestly worship it? I am a HUGE fan of Twilight, but I don't worship it. It's fictional. I love Edward and Bella and I love the story Stephenie Meyer created, but seriously woshipping? Worship means along the lines of "with a deep respect or reverence" and it usually refers to God. Worship? really worship? Worship is such a strong word. It has such a powerful meaning and using that to describe someones infactuation with an object is strange to me. I love the Twilight series as any other Twilighter, but worship? I don't worship Twilight. No matter how many times I am on the internet looking at Twilight related posts/links.
Cinders: No I am not Christian, and when I say bagging, I mean calling us crazy. We don't go around saying that Chrisitans or any other religion are carzy do we? As the for their godliness: well, they are perfect, the are freakin' hot vampires, and Edward has the restraint and self-control to not kill Bella. And Carlisle.. well, his self-control is AWESOME!
Ps. Cinders, I am a human being ,not a lab rat. i am not a 'specimen'.
Anthropologically, you are the population I am observing.

You also neglected the rest of my questions. I assume that you DO take it seriously? If this is the case, then I repeat: Do you believe they actually exist? What are the tenants of your religion?

Also, do you have tax exempt status? What do you call your house of worship? Your congregational leaders? What do your congregational leaders preach? What are your rituals and holy days? Do you all live on a farm cut off from the outside world and practice polygamy?
I believe the Cullens exist in heaven, and I don't know what 'tenants of religion' means. We are not tax exempt, ( I am under 18) holy days, we have heaps, google it and you will find them.... eg. Edwards birthday, Confrontation DAY (fight for Renesmee with Volturi) i dont no where the priests are, and no, we are not polygamous, and we are not cutt off from everyone. and please, be polite. just because you are not a cullenist doesnt mean you can be rude.
Many apologies, I meant tenets-- not tenants. Cullenism isn't an apartment you're renting out.

Apologies for the abrasive questions. I just think it's so interesting (and in all honesty, a little frightening) that people are taking this seriously (my previous beliefs were that it was just a sort-of club that people claimed to be a religion).

Until your "religion" is recognized as such by the nation you're in, or any nation for that matter, I can take it no more seriously than any other homeless prophet shouting about the end of the world. Sorry. I have a deep respect for the religious-- which is exactly why I can't take things like this seriously. It kind of feels like a slap in the face to them. Making light of their serious beliefs by claiming that characters in a fictional novel are divine. That's all.

Also, considering Stephenie Meyer's Mormon ties, I doubt she'd take kindly to people inventing a religion from her fiction.
Apology accepted. But please, try and understand the Cullenists' point of view. And yes, google Cullenism and you will find everything from prayers, holy days, TwiChurch, and about Stephenie Meyr's Mormon ties... well, all I can really say, is a) I'd be flattered that people thought so much of my book that they worship it and b) Stephenie Meyer doesn't have to be Cullenist, does she? Oh and, what are religious tenets?
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک SongBirdTeam said…
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!!!­!! how did i know this was going to happen? oh this is rich! but really it's really stupid, no offense to all you...Cullenist? and it sound's more like a cult then a religon, and no no one can be Cullenist and Christian, like Jesus said no one can surve two masters. (hehe Cullenismas, rediculus)
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک renrae said…

I just... I'm not Christian, but.... wow.
Exactly. I'm not Christian, but I'm almost offended on their behalf.

Actually, I think Ms. Meyer would be at least a little upset that her books spawned a "religion" that people are taking seriously. Mormons are very devout in their faith. They kind of frown upon worshiping false idols. I mean, it's in the Commandments. I'd imagine Meyer would feel kind of like Einstein, after he discovered the physics that made the atomic bomb possible.

Look-- If this "religion" is just a club masquerading as sincerity, then that doesn't bother me. It's an extension of the pretend-play aspect that comes with the Twilight audience. But I'm asking one last time... Is it your sincerest belief that Meyer is some sort of prophet, and the books describe actual persons or events that took place? Is it your sincerest belief that these persons and events are divine?

I'm asking this outside of the context of our discussion. If this has been a game thus far, then consider me calling for a time-out to clarify the rules: Are you taking this religion as seriously as a Buddhist monk or an Orthodox Jew takes their religion? Or is this, as mentioned, just another way to connect with other people who are fans of Twilight?
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک silver1437 said…
hmmm
am a cullenist ok, and am also christian i think ppl should keep their opinions to themselves cuz many ppl are cullenist. so what am sure twilighters are fine with it and what harm does it do to anyone
Why do twiligheters always insist that everyone should keep their opinions to themselves? If everyone kept their opinions to themselves, then twilighters couldn't express their love of twilight-- and we wouldn't be having this very interesting conversation.

And I wouldn't be able to agitate the Fox News conservatives.

And no one would ever be able to prove me wrong.

PS: You still haven't answered my question about whether you're taking this religion seriously or not.

And silver, don't you remember that footnote in the Bible? The one about no gods before the one true God? If you consider the Cullens gods, then don't you think someone upstairs might take umbrage?
last edited پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
i'm going to chirp in here one more time since there has been more perspectives given.

As a Christian, the Bible says that we shouldn't have any idols before Christ. In other words, if we set aside God, idols, and "Twilight related religions", then by all means, it is wrong. There is only one thing set aside from other things. And that is God.

He's the only being that is perfect. Any other object is imperfect. To say that you are a Cullenist and a Christian is contradictory. Christianity isn't a religion, but more of a relationship between Christ and the believer. But putting Cullenistic beliefs with Christianity beliefs, I believe that is wrong.

I am a Christian like I said before, and I am a devoted Twilight fan. But believing in a made up religion because of a book series, and claiming to follow and serve that "religion" and follow Christ, is not possible.
Thanks for your rationality, mandapanda. And you do understand that when I referenced Twilighters in the previous post, I was, of course, speaking only of those intolerant of people who have a different opinion of Twilight than they have. In short, not twilighters like you.
yeah i understand. for the first time, i read the rules to the Cullenism and I am slightly offended. The one that particular had me offended was the "Christmas: No Cullenmas: Yes" I think that's ridiculous, especially since, like you mentioned, Christ was born on Christmas day, not the Cullens.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Free_Spirit said…
i am not a religous person but i don't like Twilight. I am astounded that some person has found a way to worship something that doesn't exist. Like cinders i feel offended on Christianities behalf. I think Twilight has gotten out of hand, but i do not blame stephanie Myer for this. It is the minds of teenage girls being corrupted. Many women worship the cullens beauty but what about the personalities. yes the cullens are portrayed as good people and they are. But they don't exist. I believe today's society isn't helping the matter what with media and advertising telling young girls what they should and shouldn't be doing. Cullenists are saying that they don't bag out Christianity. But i some how feel they are mocking Christianity.I mean Cullenmas. That is just wrong, come up with your own holiday and don't take from others. I will admit, that every religion takes from another religion, like Pagan and Christianity, Buddhism and Hinduism. But they take small things, like the image of a god, or like the Halo. But Cullenism is just basically changing Christianity so that it can fit the way of Twilight.

I have always thought religions wonderful. Because they inspire hope, passion, kindness and love in people, and unity with each other. Cullenism is basically promoting the fictional idea of vampires and Werewolves. And personally i think it promotes the thought that women should only have good looking boy friends vice vrsa. I'll finish here but just so somenon doesn't start slanging on me, this is my opinion. I am not trying to force it upon anyone else i'm just expressing myself.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک brooki said…
ok, im not adding to the conversation here, just wanted to put this out there.
i am a Christian, not the best i should be, but a Christian.
when i first heard of this, i thought it was kinda cool as the talks-to-much-about-twilight-loves-edward-­and­-th­e-c­ull­ens teenage girl obviously obsessed with all things twilight would think. i never really thought much about it after the first time i heard about it. i figured it would die out, no one would believe in such a stupid thing. (remeber, true twihard and im saying this!) i still dont hear much about it. i do not think it is right, but these people have a choice. sure, as Christians, we're supposed to spread God's word, telling our friends and such the glory that is God, but these people heard us. they couldn't have ignored everything that was brought up by (sometimes heated) conversations like this one. they still chose to go on, seemingly in their own little bubble. i do not agree with it, but i still have faith that this fake religion will die down soon. i am the most devoted twiheart as the next obsessed girl, but this is too far. personally, i just chose to ignore it.
ps. you can't CHANGE Christmas to Cullenmis or whatever it is. Christ died for our sins on that day. what have the Cullens done to deserve this fake holiday? just curious.
im so sorry if i offended anyone, please let me know if i did, i really dont like to do that.
thanks for listening.
Thanks for your input, brooki. I think that was a very rational response.

But if we want to be technically correct... Good Friday commemorates the crucifixion when Christ died for (y)our sins. Christmas commemorates his birth, but even so, Christmas is not the day of his birth, as Jesus was more likely born in spring.
April is in the spring.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک jennyrules1504 said…
angelic
Well in the southern hemisphere april is in autumn....

but it takes place in the northern hemisphere...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک rachaelwsz said…
Just adding my opinion here. I'm a Christian and a Twifan myself. When I first heard about Cullenism, I was actually rather disgusted. I think religion is something sacred and should not be taken lightly. I've seen the rules of Cullenism myself and I was rather disturbed. What good have the Cullens done for these Cullenist? I know that we Christians believe that Jesus died on the cross so that our sins would be forgiven. Besides being fictional, what have the Cullens done to deserve such 'devotion'?

To those Christians who joined Cullenism as well, I would advice them to pick up and re-read the Bible. It is clearly written in Exodus 20:3-4. "You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them."

I think that most of these Christian Twifans who joined Cullenism think that Cullenism is just for fun and would do no harm. Think again. Claiming the Cullens to be holy and worshipped is bad enough. It may not harm physically but spiritually I believe it does. I'm a Christian because I truly believe in God. I did not become a Christian just for the 'fun' of it.

And yes, I do think Cullenism is blasphemous.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک mimifaith said…
I agree with everything that rachelwsz said.
Cullenism is just stupid. It's not a religion and there is no need to scream evertime someone mentions anything to do with them.

Don't tell us to keep our veiws to ourselves when you constanly push yours in our face...

oh, and in reading everyone elses veiws...
fight fight fight fight fight!!!
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک j1edwardcullen7 said…
Okay...
-1: I'm not Christian. I'm atheist. I don't know how to unsubscribe.

-2: I don't think it's wrong, even if I was Christian, I think that it's okay to make little jokes. It's not making fun of Christian, it's not a faith at all.

It's just a joke, and they know that.
^^actually, alot of twilight fans take it very seriously. If you haven't seen some of the comments that take place from the "Cullenists" then I suggest you look before commenting.

I can understand that they love the books and that they [the books] are meaningful to a certain person, but creating a religion out of it is wrong.

Christianity isn't really a religion, but more of a personal relationship with Christ. However, it is considered one of the 12 major religions to this day. But like I said in one of my earlier comments, even if you aren't religous, worship is a very sacred word. It shouldn't be used to describe someone's devotion towards fictional characters. I get that people are very much in love with these books, and that sane twilight fans find something that is very meaningful to them, but the "Cullenists", i'm sorry, are seriously kidding themselves.
The characters in twilight are great, I get that, but worshipping them and making "commandments" is rather blaspemous. It's one thing to be inspired to get color contact lenses or write songs/poems, but making commandments and actually swearing they will follow those guidelines, is disturbing.

and if you read the whole article, the writer mentions "Cullenmas". The "religion", cult, whatever you want to call it is replacing Christmas for a fictional belief. Even if you aren't a Christian, there are historical facts leading to Jesus' birth.

"Christianity isn't really a religion, but more of a personal relationship with Christ."

I really, really like this definition of Christianity.
^^thanks :)
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک italiangirl976 said…
big smile
I think some people do take it seriously. But then I think there are a lot of people who do not. The list of rules was made as a joke. Not to actually follow. Read the comments and the girl who wrote them says so. But then I found a website where they have "Twichurch". Is it just me or is that weird?
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک katara529 said…
I don't think it's a good idea. There's nothing wrong with liking something, but a whole religion? That's going a bit too far. It may be a joke that got out of hand, it may have started out as a serious religion. I really don't know. But like rachaelwsz said, religion is something sacred, not something to be taken lightly.