Critical Analysis of Twilight The whole "Twilight VS. Harry Potter"

bendaimmortal posted on Aug 14, 2009 at 05:33AM
I was just shocked by the news Eclipse apparently had knocked Deathly Hallows off it's number one rank on some selling list thingy, at some point. I don't know when and for how long but I heard it had.

And it's ridiculous. RIDICULOUS! People, we're talking about the final part of the epic Harry Potter saga here, the one filled with action and emotion, the one that ends the entire, colourful and tragic yet childlike story the world got to follow for soooo many YEARS. O__O
Of course it's a matter of an opinion how good people think the Deathly Hallows is but I've hard time believeing anyone would think it anything else but at least one of the best parts of the saga. Persoanlly, I think it's clearly the best of the seven.

Anyways... As it's been said before, selling ranks don't necessarely mean a thing, (they do generally but not absolutely), when it comes to how good a book (serie) is.

See, I was wondering, how many think like me; that Twilight's succes - at least by now - is probably significantly to do with not the teenagers buying copies of the book because they're obsessively in love with the story & they think it's good - but the success is more likely caused by the over-rative hype that is making it SEEM good, and of course because it's advertised as vampire book serie, (which it however basically so is not, for various valid reasons.) I mean, vampires are timeless.

And so, there probably are many people who in this situation won't bother to even look into the thing but go buy the book blindly because "it's so popuölar and about vampires" and then... they'll see. :P
last edited on Aug 14, 2009 at 05:38AM

Critical Analysis of Twilight 9 جوابات

Click here to write a response...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Plenilunio said…
The constant "Harry Potter" vs. "Twilight" comparison angers me, really. In my opinion, they only share the target audience, because the "Harry Potter" series is made of seven well written books with deep, carefully built characters with different, evolving personalities as well as defined plots. The good guys aren't flawless angels and the baddies aren't evilly evil just for the sake of it. Just take a look at Severus Snape or Albus Dumbledore in the "good side" and the Malfoys in the "evil side".

The universes are also completely different. Meyer may claim it doesn't have to make sense because it's fiction, but Rowling doesn't. Her world has internal coherence. She doesn't suddenly decide she wants everyone to be happy and invents a marvelous spell that makes all the dead good guys come back to life and the evil guys turn good so that everyone ends singing a happy song and pink unicorns dance all around the Great Hall. "Deathly Hallows" depicts a civil war with everything it involves, deaths included. We see characters we love die and, even if I went "noooooooo! How could she kill X?", I understood. Wars aren't beautiful, people are hurt and people die.

As for the authors, I also see some differences. The have both made mistakes while writing, there are arguable points and plotholes in both the series. In perfectly perfect Edward's words, "they are only human", which is also a Matrix reference, sorry for those who thought SMeyer invented this, the Switzerland comparison and the word "chagrin". So, what do these authors do when someone discusses those plotholes? Mrs. Meyer whines endlessly about how fiction doesn't have to make sense, whereas Mrs. Rowling checks her facts and goes "Oops! Sorry, you're right!" if she realizes she messed up.

Honestly, I am not surprised that "Breaking Dawn" is having more success than "Deathly Hallows". Reading "Harry Potter" requires more thinking. I am not saying the Twilight fans are idiots, but it's the kind of reading you can enjoy without effort, while "Harry Potter" gives way to lots of interesting discussions. Also, it's seven books filled with something more than thesaurus abuse and trite, previsible sappy scenes. Does that mean SMeyer is better than J. K. Rowling? Well, assuming that involves the Jonas Brothers are the best music band ever, just like the Backstreet Boys were the best band ever a few years ago.
last edited پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Myf_1992 said…
I am flabergasted that anything as flawed as Eclipse would top Deathly Hallows. It is one of my favs, its so well writen, how could this happen?

Adults read Harry Potter, and Twilight is on the "teen Romance" section at borders. As Plenilunio says, HP takes more thinking.

Now I know the universe is falling apart. It must be the hype about it as Bendaimmortal said, it will all blow over as soon as the last film is made, and then Harry Potter can reclaim its rightful throne =D
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Faith-Rulz said…
smile
Wow...im just completely lost for words lol...ok im over it lol

Everyone has different opinions, people are gonna agree to diagree. There are pplz out there who like both Twilight AND Harry Potter, or whatever, for different reasons, whatever they are.

Both series have positives and negatives you decide what they are. Harry Potter you gotta pay attention to the finer details cuz something will pop up in the next one or etc, Twilight there are still surprises but its not as long winded as Harry Potter's storylines/plots.

I really love, love reading Harry Potter. The line between good and evil is very thin, I like how you mentioned Severus Snape, Dumbledore and The Malfoys (so true). Ive read the whole series and i cant pick which is my fave book outta the series.

While in Twilight my favourite book is Breaking Dawn, I found that book alot more positive than the previous books and different ethnicities vampires coming together.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک crazyduds2 said…
angry
I love Harry Potter. (Look at the icon!) This angers me, not only because of my love for Harry Potter, but also because Eclipse has got to be the worst book in the series. It has no direct plot, and the angst in it is ten times what Harry Potter's was. Bellatrix's name has also been ruined, because whenever people say Bella, they think you are referring to Bella Swan, the terrible star of Twilight.

Deathly Hallows was one amazing book. I hope that people will realize in the near future how terrible Twilight is. Or maybe we could encourage a new Vs. topic like, Twilight vs. Interview With the Vampire. (I know, Interview is better.)

Let's hope that our anger can be focused upon a new generation of children. Ones that will pick up Harry Potter instead of Twilight. Because I for one am going to read my children Harry Potter.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Plenilunio said…
wink
^ Tonks is not amused
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک snoznoodle said…
Plenilunio. said. it. all!
Reading that should probably just stop every crazy fangirl in their tracks and force them to say, "Hang on - you're right!". Then they should throw their Twilight books and merchandise in the trash and ask the Harry Potter gods for forgiveness.

Really, there isn't anything to reasonably compare between the two besides extremely good sales. I'm blaming the Twilight brainwash (which I honestly believe happens). The romance or whatever it is these girls are addicted to seriously clouds their judgement until they forget anything good that isn't Twilight exists. That's a very general statement I realise and of course this isn't doesn't happen to everyone, but Twilight is addictive and some people are more persuadable than others. If it wasn't written in some weird ass, general way which draws you in, it wouldn't be anywhere near is popular.

Harry Potter on the other hand doesn't rely on brainwashing. Just detailed plot, complex characters and extremely good writing. But hey what ever sells the book.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Seni said…
tongue
I actually like both of them although I like Harry Potter more.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک kellysimona said…
big smile
Before I begin, I'm a teenage girl so I totally fit into the Twilight fan base, and a few years back I totally fell for the HP series so... here goes.
Twilight is awesome. Well, not really! When you get past the way-too-perfect-even-for-a-vampire Edward part, and the whole "Ooh, I'm love with a vampire and he loves me" it's not deep. I mean Rosalie is deep (yeah, I know), but she is. However, Edward isn't and Bella most certainly is not. And Sthepanie Meyer left a lot of gaps and a lot of things that could, and SHOULD, be fixed. I mean come on, I wouldn't want to spoil anyone's ending, but "Breaking Dawn" is sick. I like Jacob and his ending is way too weird for me, and "Eclipse", well it seems this guy has absolutely no luck. Either that, or Meyer wanted to mess up every single thing connected with him.
Harry Potter, on the other hand, is pretty damn amazing. Those books basically raised me and when "The Deathly Hallows" came out I didn't do anything but read for 1,5 days. (Thank God it was summer!) It was mentioned above that Rowling had made some mistakes and I actually Googled it because I couldn't think of any. (Except maybe letting Diggory die and pass on to Twilight:D) Yes, a lot of characters die and I hate that, but life isn't happy-go-lucky. Except for life in Twilight, that is. I mean she's new in the town and she herself says that she's plain, and everyone just falls for her. Please!
I read a question somewhere which said: "Where would you rather be HP or Twilight?" I'd have to say Twilight. I even imagined being a vampire, but in a totally playing-a-vampire-and-being-dressed-and-ma­de-­up-­by-­pro­fes­sio­nal­s kind of way. If I had to choose for real I'd choose HP and witchcraft, but I'd visit Forks anyway :D
Hope I made sense, thanks for reading!!
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Faith-Rulz said…
smile
I feel that i should explain why i liked BD so much more than the others. I said "I found that book alot more positive than the previous books and different ethnicities vampires coming together" though yes different covens (including the Cullens) and the Quilete werewolves came together to defend Renesemee, i quite liked that and seeing all the different abilities what they possessed.

But how i said it was more positive, well in ways yes it was but in others it wasnt and there were and still issues in BD im not comfortable with so like how everyone lived happily ever after with no consquences...i mean cmon!

Vampires/Humans? theres gotta be a consquence to that! Ive said this before but im saying it again - the whole Jacob/Rensemee is just WRONG and yer a few other things but im not gonna go on cuz i feel that ive said my peace...just hope that next time SM releases a book series she takes the time to flesh her story, plot, character building/relationships and whatnot more in the future :)

P.S Even with this Harry Potter Vs Twilight....at least pplz are reading :)