Critical Analysis of Twilight Novel Heroines Beyond Harry Potter

Cinders posted on Sep 10, 2009 at 03:32PM
First of all, yes, there is a double entendre in the word "novel." Most antis and neutrals don't feel like Bella is a great character, or a good role model for young girls.

To argue that point, people point out interesting characters like Hermione Granger from Harry Potter, or Buffy Summers from the show that bears her name. These are common points in the argument against Bella Swan's character, but I was curious to hear more.

My first thought when I try and think of an interesting literary character is Ella of Frell. When I was younger, Ella Enchanted was one of my favorite novels, and it was the first novel where I was actually interested in the romance of it (I was a late bloomer among the girls as far as being interested in that sort of thing).

I think a lot of people who criticize feminists believe that feminists are against the romance novel-- this isn't true. Feminists aren't against romance in the slightest. We just like romance that shows women in interesting roles, rather than the classic "damsel in distress" theme present in a lot of classic romantic literature.

Now, don't get me wrong-- as politically incorrect as they are, I have always loved fairy tales and Disney films, and I always will. But I stopped wanting to be a fairy princess when I was ten-years-old. If you want, you can wait and wait and wait in your ivory tower for a prince to carry you away and see how long it takes. Or, you could go out there and find him.

So after that tangent about feminism and romance, I was wondering who you consider to be more interesting female characters in the novels you have read. I can name a few off the top of my head.

Ella from Ella Enchanted
Scout Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird
Elspeth Gordie from the Obernewtyn Chronicles
Sara Crewe from A Little Princess
Lyra "Silvertongue" Belaqua from His Dark Materials
Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice

There are loads more-- that's just off the top of my head.

Critical Analysis of Twilight 12 جوابات

Click here to write a response...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک renrae said…
Violet Boudelaire from the Series of Unfortunate Events.

Risa from Unwind.

Liza and Annie from Annie On My Mind

Jan and Kerry from Good Moon Rising

Max, Nudge, and Angel from Maximum Ride

Nancy Drew, from the Nancy Drew series

Any main character from the American Girls children's series

Katie, from A Tree Grows in Brooklynn (That was her name, right? I haven't read that story in a long time.)

And here's one I'm rather iffy on. Melinda from Speak. I wouldn't call her a strong character, but I think she deserves a mention.

پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Myf_1992 said…
smile
Bindy McKenzie from Bindy McKenzie I think is an unusual one, but a better role mode than Bella. She's a geek in high school who gets into some trouble.
There quite a few strong women in the Vampire Chronicles, Akasha, Gabrielle, Dora...
Tiffany Aching from Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith. She is fairly feminist, she is an aspiring witch, but she's not the conventional witch, nothing in Terry Pratchett's world is conventional. I just love her character, she is so British, and original, and such a good role model!

I don't read much of a diversity of books, I usually read books about the same people or by the same author.

I think Belle from Beauty and the Beast is a fab role model, if anything she saves the Beast, she reads books (she actually reads books, not just says she reads them) she cares about her father and doesn't run to Gaston's arms just because he tried to save her, and she doesn't aspire to get married and have a gazillion kids and wait hand on foot for her husband. She is basically the opposite to Bella.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک snoznoodle said…
tongue
Jane Eyre is probably my number one hero. It's pretty amazing the book isn't a modern day feminist book. What I loved the most about her was when she felt that pursuing a relationship with the love of her life went against every morale fibre in her body, she didn't do it. She chose to leave him despite the extreme emotional damage it would cause them both. She also didn't have anywhere to go or any way to support herself. And then she built up her life again without any financial backer or husband to take care of her. She re-established a life based purely on her skills and her will.

As opposed to Bella who didn't really find turning into a bloodthirsty monster just to be with Edward a morale issue. And then fell to pieces when he left her and relied on another guy to put her back together.

Now that I think about it Bella pretty much did the opposite to Jane. They were also in a similar situation. Both had found their "soul mate". Both "soul mates" had an immoral, dark past. Both couples "broke up". The difference to how they handled the the break up is amazing! And let's not forget Jane Eyre lived in the 1800s. Women were extremely disadvantaged if they didn't have a husband or relatives to rely on to support them financially. If you didn't back then you were pretty much screwed. Jane used her teaching skills and started her own school for girls. I'm fairly new to these 19th century victorian romances but from what I can gather a self-reliant woman is extremely rare. They're even the same age! No excuses SMeyer!

Jane Eyre meet your complete opposite - Bella Swan.

(I was actually going to include a few more but I went off onto a bit of a tangent there. Here are my others, real quick:)

- Sally Lockhart and Adelaide - The Sally Lockhart Mysteries
- Ella of Frell - Ella Enchanted
- Lyra Belaqua - His Dark Materials
- Elizabeth Bennet - Pride and Prejudice
- Alais - Labrynth
surprise
This isn't from a book (Well it is, but the book version is different), but Christine Daae from The Phantom of the Opera. Another one I'm iffy on.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Cinders said…
Eh... I'm not a fan of Christine in the musical (haven't read the book). It may be because I'm biased since I don't like Phantom, but it seems to me that she doesn't drive the action-- all the action happens around her. It may happen because of her, but she isn't a part of it. The real players in the musical are Erik and Raoul, if you ask me. But that's just my opinion.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Asvini said…
One I'd add is the book version of Temperance Brennan. I like the show, but prefer book Tempe. I love the fact that she's so smart, tough and determined, but also has enough realistic faults that she is a believable character.
last edited پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
Yeah, book!Tempe rocks. I love that series, she's a lot different than the TV character.

((I'm a kind of a phangirl, so I'm biased, also. But I think she's pretty integral and she makes her own decisions, even if she is kind of stupid sometimes. She's a bit different in the book(s).))
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Bookaholics said…
Most of the heroines from the Tamora Pierce novels (sort of).
Meggie from Inkheart.
I'm probably the only one to have read the series, but Nita from Young Wizards (and Dairine).
Rosalind from As You Like It. (Iffy, but I couldn't think of any better Shakespeare characters.
Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Cinders said…
Couldn't think of any better Shakespeare characters? Beatrice (Much Ado About Nothing) is one of my all time favorites from his plays. And I just had a whole discussion about Emilia's agency in Othello (what she knew about her husband's plot vs what she didn't, and if she knowingly participated in it and just feigned innocence or not.) Em... Potentially Cordelia from Lear, considering she leads the French army into England to rescue her father (even if she does fail). Portia also has her insightful and interesting moments, and Viola is pretty selfless in her love for Orsino, which is admirable.

Conversely, Shakespeare female characters that are completely flat and annoying (to me) include Juliet and Miranda. Miranda is surprising, as I assumed that, being the only woman in a cast of men, she would be stronger than she was, but she failed miserably.

Ones I'm OK with (for symbolic or other reasons) include Desdemona, Hermione, and Hero, but something about each of them still bothers me.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Bookaholics said…
smile
Good point. The characters Cinders mentioned too.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک XDRoseLuvsHP said…
Tally Youngblood from Uglies. Great character. She is really unique, and she has lots of flaws that make her interesting, hobbies that make her more interesting, and lots of struggles which make the story itself interesting. Tally is far more brave than Bella. She goes and sacrifices her sanity to try to help the Smokies find a cure to being Pretty (I can't explain... you'd have to read the book). Tally grows as a character. Her rebelliousness has always been evident, but it grew from playing tricks on fellow Uglies to helping to take down the government. She gives up any sort of comfort she could have had to help preserve the environment. She is just a better character in ever way.

Others Include:
Claudia from Incarceron
Annabeth from Percy Jackson
Door from Neverwhere
Claudia from Interview with the Vampire (if she can be considered a protagonist)
The Various Protagonists in the Dragonriders of Pern books (ex. Menoly, Lessa, etc.)
Lina Mayfleet from City of Ember
...and a lot more!
last edited پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک shieldmaiden said…
My personal favorites in novels other than Harry Potter:

Elizabeth Bennett- Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre- Jane Eyre
Mia Thermopolis- The Princess Diaries series
Susan "Stargirl" Caraway- Stargirl
Lyra Belacqua- His Dark Materials
Eowyn- Lord of the Rings (my personal favorite :D)