Critical Analysis of Twilight Twilight and personality profiling

renrae posted on Jul 18, 2010 at 02:52AM
Alright, kitties! Today we're going to talk about intelligent things. (I know, I know- rencat is talking about intelligent things? Gasp!) I like personality profiling, and thought it would be fun to start a discussion about how I see the characters psychologically. Of course, not all of the characters are entirely realistic, but I'm going to try, and I may need to mix personality types a bit. The link is a method of personality typing that uses nine different types of personalities. If you are too lazy to click on the link, then the titles are as follows: 1 the Reformer, 2 the Helper, 3 the Motivator, 4 the Romantic, 5 the Thinker, 6 the Skeptic, 7 the Enthusiast, 8 the Leader, 9 the Peacemaker. I strongly suggest you at least glance at the pages linked above if you want to contribute to the discussion (although occasionally popping in and going "Hey that DOES sound like *insert character*!" is totally fine, too. (: ) I could only come up with one definite one for now, so input is greatly appreciated. :D

Bella Swan: 4, The Romantic, with a little bit of something else I can't quite put my finger on.
Why: "being unique" "experiencing dark moods of emptiness and despair " " feel that they don't fit in"
Justification: Does Bella like being unique? Yes, she does. The problem here is that Bella is set up to be a blank slate- that is, NOT unique. But Bella shows that she likes feeling special and different from others, and she also places herself above others. As for dark moods of emptiness… anyone who has read New Moon will understand how this applies. I chose "feel that they don't fit in" as the last example because it is obvious, especially early in Twilight, because Bella often puts herself down and compares herself to others- she even says herself that she didn't fit in in Arizona.

So, I did Bella. If no one posts in a couple of days I'll come back and do a couple more. :) It's meant to be fun, and it's actual analysis! Bonus! *throws catnip in the air*

Critical Analysis of Twilight 2 جوابات

Click here to write a response...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک renrae said…
tongue
Oh come on, people. It's FUN!

Alice Cullen: 7, the Enthusiast.
Why: "being spontaneous and free-spirited" "Appreciate my grand visions and listen to my stories" "drum up excitement"
Justification: Alice, being a somewhat minor character, doesn't get as much character insight as the main three. However, from what we see of Alice, we do know some things: she's very 'hyper'. She's a manic pixie person, to use TVTropes terms. She's often very spontaneous, and is also very affectionate. She's one of the more open minded characters. (She also really loves shopping.) Alice's special vampy power is that she is clairvoyant, which I'm using here. Enthusiasts have big ideas and crazy fantasies. It fits. I swear.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک i-am-mariella said…
Jacob Black: 8 (The Leader)
Why: "I must be strong" "Controlling" "Fear of submitting to others" (this one probably also applies to Edward.)
Justification: Jacob's whole thing is being "strong" and "protective", from the 100 over-the-top descriptions of his toned chest, all the better for cradling Bella safely (vomit.) He is controlling, which is shown when he wouldn't let her fight with the vampires and werewolves, but made her stay in the tent or wherever. As for fear of submitting to others, he won't listen to anyone telling him to leave her alone, and even forces himself on Bella because he can't stand not being the one she chooses.
The fact that 14 year old girls are in love with someone like this makes me feel physically sick. SM has a LOT to answer for.