Are we rating things deservedly?
Hi there guys, your friendly neighborhood PLH here with an odd, backwards kind of request from you.
Now it has been کہا before that this spot is an excellent place in terms of شائقین rating other user's content! I mean on the majority of تصاویر آپ may be getting 10+ rates, most of the شبیہیں آپ might be finding 4 یا 5 rates on each one, which is a lot دیا how many of them there are!! Even most of the screencaps have been rated, which even my rater whore self wouldn't be able to do! So yes, this spot is an excellent place for your content to be rated! So آپ may be asking why i am making a فورم on this but I do have one, strange, issue with the rating on this spot:
I think that in general we rate things too high!! Quite often when I get to the pictures (icons یا whatever) I find that they are all rated 5 stars, یا 'awesome' as fanpop classifies it. Now this can be interpreted in a few ways:
1) The شائقین here are very very very very very nice!! But we knew that anyways!!
2) People aren't looking at each individual thing they rate, just rating.
3) There is nothing wrong with this, all the content here is awesome!
4) We have a minor problem...
And the last option is the one I am going to explain for آپ here.
The point of rating on this website is so that شائقین can differentiate between content, as judged سے طرف کی other fans. This way, آپ could easily see the better شبیہیں in a huge bunch of them because they would have a higher rating. However when they are all rated 5s آپ can't do that, and it makes rating pointless apart from helping other شائقین getting تمغے (which isn't even necessarily true...).
So what I am recommending is this:
What we seem to be doing now is rating everything we come across with a five, but how about we tone this down a little? Make your default rate a 4, which is still classified as 'great' سے طرف کی the rating system. This way will allow us to see the difference between the usual content we see added constantly every day, and the content that really shines out and deserves special attention.
Also, rating everything as a 5 constantly means that when آپ see something آپ really really really like, there is no way of دکھانا that unless آپ comment, but that doesn't help new other شائقین find it! سے طرف کی rating everything a 4 آپ can highlight the awesome content hidden in all the great stuff!! Some other points I want to bring up on rating in general:
1) آپ should never rate something low because of your opinions on the character/ship! This is another form of bashing, and really not cool people! If it a good article/picture/etc then it deserves a good rating, regardless of whether آپ agree with it یا not!!
2) Please do always rate. It is so frustrating to see a picture with 100 یا so گیا پڑھا مرتبہ and only a couple of rates! link
wrote an excellent link
on this a couple of days ago.
3) Don't rate low just for the sake of it! This is called trolling, and it very frustrating! If someone has put a lot of effort into something, یا even a little, it deserved to be recognised! Don't go round rating 1s and 2s for the sake of it!
4) This is مزید aboot adding content, but آپ should always try to use الفاظ مطلوبہ (my test for what makes for good use of الفاظ مطلوبہ is "if I was looking for this would I be able to find it quickly?"). Also, crediting is very important!! If آپ are adding something to fanpop but didn't make/write it yourself, then the person who did deserves the credit! Now if آپ don't know who to credit, آپ could just fill the box with "I don't know" یا "I am unsure", یا something along those lines!
5) Along similar lines, when آپ come across an image/article/link with poor keywording and credit, try not to give it 5 stars, regardless of how good it is. in my mind something only deserves 5 stars if it has the whole package. And to be honest, is it really [i]that[i/] hard to add a few الفاظ مطلوبہ to the things آپ add??
Ok, I know that article/rant was kind of long and boring,but thank آپ guys for reading, means a lot to me!! My main point I'm trying to get across is...
Is everything really that awesome??