Advice Tech Support

Cinders posted on May 21, 2008 at 06:08PM
My laptop computer, which has a built-in wireless router the make of which I am unsure of as I am a complete dolt when it comes to that sort of thing, has decided that it refuses to recognize any wireless signal of any sort.

I know this is a problem with my wireless because I have been in plenty of areas where I KNOW there is wireless available, and yet it still fails to recognize anything. It simply says that there are no networks within range.

Now this isn't a CRUSHING problem, as I have ethernet (with which I am using to write to you folks right now), not to mention another desktop computer that is much newer and faster than my laptop. However, it is a bit of a nuisance when I want to connect to the internet on campus and cannot do so.

Anyone know how to help me?
last edited on May 21, 2008 at 06:09PM

Advice 5 جوابات

Click here to write a response...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک IsabellaAzuria said…
u should probably ask llerenaprincipe
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Snerkie said…
there are problems generally with some routers. My router is dumb and gives me a low signal when i'm like...4-5 metres away from it with a door shut which it shouldn't. Have you gone through the settings through your browser for your router (the number should be in a book you got (i forgot what the number is exactly) but yeah and then go to your wireless set up and change the channels.

It's sorta hard to try and solve something without seeing, if it has never worked or not working now...alfoil/tin foil can sometimes help, lol...seriously, people have used it before.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک llerenaprincipe said…
you have a problem with ur drivers
or it could be that ur wireless card sucks
solution:
uninstall ur drivers. install the latest ones from the manufacturer's website
or
get a new linksys wireless card :P
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Cinders said…
Thanks for the rapid response, you guys! I had considered reinstalling the drivers, but I was a little nervous about that, as I did the same thing when my CD drive stopped working and it didn't help a lick. But your encouragement, llerenaprincipe, made me do it and now it's all working. I guess something just wasn't clicking in there.

I am proud to announce that I am typing this to you on my lap top on campus, via the wireless network. :o)
last edited پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک harold said…
Just a note from someone who has worked in tech support: in future, it would be helpful if you provided a few more particulars about your set-up in any sort of problem report (not just here. Reporting bugs to the Fanpop staff, filing tech support requests to your phone company, et cetera, et cetera). In this case, knowing which OS (and its version number) your computer ran would have been very helpful, as would any information about the wireless adapter/card you have installed.