Advice I need some advice.

Shandiii posted on Feb 18, 2008 at 07:13PM
My cousin who is 20, just lost her 4 month old baby. I never got to meet the baby, and I haven't seen my cousin for about 8 years.
The funeral is this wednesday, I want to support my cousin through this, but I feel almost uncomfortable going because I haven't seen her for so long. Also, I cry really easily and I know I would not be able to keep it together.

Am I being selfish not wanting to go? Should I go?

Advice 14 جوابات

Click here to write a response...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک randomchicky456 said…
you arent being selfish. but it might be good to go and comfort her. it might make her feel better and its a good act of kindness. its your choice whether to go or not. just think about if u lost ur baby. wouldnt u want everyone u invited to com. i am sorry for her loss. i hope this makes it easier for u. i hope i helped
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Shandiii said…
It wasn't me personally who was invited, it was my parents.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Wakko075 said…
1st- Was there a reason you havent kept in touch..?
If you stopped talking on a bad note then atleast just send a card letting her know she's in your thoughts.
2nd- i don't remember ever receiving an invite to a funeral.. You go to pay your respects to the family, it shouldn't be a "i wasn't invited" reason to not go. Just be there for her! I'm sure she'll be fine you came. Maybe it'll be better that you came b/c she doesn't see you everyday like everyone else.
& 3rd- ..umm...being emotional is alright, especially at a funeral.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Wakko075 said…
if you really don't wanna go- just atleast let her know somehow (card, call, etc..) that your thinking about her. And that you'll be avalible if she needed anyone to talk to.
Wakko, sorry, I wasn't trying to use me not being invited as an excuse.
We didn't really end on a bad note. I don't like most of the people on that side of my family so after I got old enough I just stopped visiting them. I don't have anything personal against her though.

I think I will go to pay my repect. Thanks for the advice from both of you. :)
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک meeee said…
I know kinda how you feel my friends cousin died and my other friends and I were like should we go because we don't know the family but we wanted to be there for our friend but anyway this isn't about me just do whatever you think is right.
(I was no help so sorry)
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک amazondebs said…
if you haven't spoken to her in eight years
and i do not mean to sound harsh here but i don't think she'll be relying on you to come like she will be on her intimidate family

so i think you should consider weather you need to be there to grieve yourself
Meeee, anything is helpful. :)

amazondebs, it's not harsh at all, I know what you're saying because that was part of why I didn't think it mattered if I went or not.

Okay, so if both of my parents are going, along with my sister, and I'm the only one of my family who doesn't show up, is it rude?

I just keep thinking of more reasons not to go.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Snerkie said…
just say you don't want to go to your parents because of awkwardness and send your regards or whatever the right word is. Also a card or something like it has been suggested, she'll understand why you're not there i'm sure.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک germany123 said…
well to tell you the truth i assume she wont care that much if you go or not because im sure theres other things on her mind at the moment. if youre not close neither to her nor to that side of the family chances are she wont even notice youre not there.
but i think its good that you dont make this descision light-heartedly.if your gut says you dont want to go- dont go.
last edited پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک sardines said…
I don't know how your relationship with the cousin is, but when your not in a fight, I think you should go. Your cousin will like it when you want to help her with her sadness.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک DrDevience said…
To get to the root of this question:

You have no reason to feel guilty about not going. It does not make you a bad or selfish person if you decide not to attend.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Pinkish1987 said…
I agree with DrDevience

U shudnt feel guilty abt not going and even if u do choose 2 go, it shudnt matter tht u hvnt been in touch 4 a long tym.
All tht shud occur 2 u (if u choose 2 go) is tht she needs ur support as she lost a child.
Shez not gna be in any position 2 hold a grudge or nethn.

Jus be supportive

:)
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک tinkerluvr said…
You don't have to go. just do tell her you are think about her.