Arthur and Gwen Rewatching Merlin 1 X 08-

sportyshuie posted on Mar 02, 2013 at 03:30PM
Now that the show has ended let’s go back and rewatch the episodes with a whole new perspective. We have watched the characters develop and gotten to know them well. Some we love more than others, but now our perspectives have changed as we know how everything turns out. Let’s have fun looking at the story unfold with our new perspectives from when we first watched the respective episodes. (Thanks to the folks over at tvdotcom for ideas we’ve borrowed from them.)

Moderators for Season 1:
HumbleQueen
Sportyshuie
Ellarose88
[others...]

Rules are as follows:

I. We are getting started with 1x01 on Saturday, January 12, 2013 and a new forum will be opened every following Saturday. Moderators will post following the order in the list above to open threads and we’ll be watching the episodes in sequence. We will then be watching the last episode of Season 1 (1x13) on the week beginning April 6th.

II. Every moderator opening a rewatching thread should copy and paste the information in this entry (Introduction, List of moderators, Rules and Master List) at the top. That way, keeping track of the turns and our progress will be easier and also having the rules at hand will be useful for those who may have decided to join us part way through.

III. Everyone opening a rewatching thread is responsible for reminding the next person in the list to do the same the following Saturday (sending a pm on Friday should do it).

IV. Anyone not being able to open a thread on a particular Saturday can swap turns with the next person in the list (or anyone else) as long as they keep track of their respective turns.

V. People taking part can jump in with comments, but just because you watch and comment on a particular episode does not mean it’s compulsory to watch every single episode to be a part of this rewatching.

VI. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. Also, new moderators will be added to the list when we get them.

VII. If you don’t have dvd’s or subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime, the first four seasons are available free (with ads) on hulu: link

Also famfan suggested link

VIII. Constructive criticism of characters/actors is always in order, but please no bashing.

IX. Let’s have fun down memory lane. Be inspired to do fanfics, fanvids, and fanart.

Here’s a master list of a twelve items we’ll be looking for in all episodes. The moderator will post the lists (as filled in) at her convenience. Anybody can suggest any they see though. Mods will also be posting their own questions for discussion.

A. Anything that has to do with Arwen.
B. Lives saved.
C. R.I.P. list.
D. Who spent time in the dungeon?
E. Times Arthur is knocked unconscious or prevented from knowing about Merlin's magic
F. Great dragon predictions/riddles.
G. Statements about Arthur becoming the great king of legend.
H. What Uther says about magic.
I. Progress or resets in Arthur/Merlin relationship
J. Guest star special characters.
K. Morgana dreams.
L. Knights of the round table appearances.

The picture is chosen for a reason ... "The beginnng of the end"
 Now that the دکھائیں has ended let’s go back and rewatch the episodes with a whole new perspective. We

Arthur and Gwen 11 جوابات

Click here to write a response...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک sportyshuie said…
Greeting everyone ...

Hope the week's been good to all of you and have a great weekend everyone.

SO, this is the episode we finally get to meet the slayer, yes ... the king's slayer. MORDRED! To be honest, I hate this episode. I hated it because I hate Mordred. The moment I saw the trailer and they showed Mordred, I was upset. I thought, they have got to be kidding me ... what? Mordred so early in the series? But when the episode actually aired and a child mordred was introduced instead, i knew something is being planned. The directors opted for a different story line and despite the hatred i have for Mordred, i ended up watching it. It was quite heavy on the drama and what's more interesting was the fact Mordred is saved by ARTHUR himself ... this is the boy who will eventually kill Arthur and yet he is saving him. Talk about irony. But I still hate the episode and i would have loved it if Mordred is killed. For once, I sided with Uther here.

Anyway, here are the questions for this week.

1. Talk about Mordred and the boy who plays him. What do you think of him?

2. Compare Asa (Younger Mordred) and Alex (Older Mordred) performance.

3. We are introduced to Druids more in this season than in the rest of the series. What do you REALLY think of them? Are they peaceful like Arthur mentions? Or are they a threat to the kingdom like Uther says?

3. Talk about Merlin's relationship with Mordred. What do you make of it?

4. In the legends, Mordred is Morgana's son and in the series they tried to bring that concept to fruitation. Do you think it worked? Or not? State your reasons for any answers.

5. Arthur shines in his role in this episode, exceeding his father in terms of wisdom and bravery. He proves why he is the greatest king ever lived when he decided to disobey his father and save a druid boy. Now, considering what happens in the finale, did he do the right thing? For this episode yes, it could be but let us see the entire picture ... did he do the right thing by saving the boy because we know what happens to him in the finale. Talk about it. Do you think the outcome of his future could have been different should he decide not to save him?

6. Merlin is the most affected by Mordred's presence. His initial offer to help was genuine but after learning the prophecy he opts to ignore Mordred. Some may think he is being selfish but bear in mind, his mistake here is the one that leads to Arthur's death. Merlin is torn between humanity in saving his own kind and saving his friend. If you are in his shoes and someone of your own kind is being threatened what would you do?

7. What's your favourite moment in this episode?

8. Did you all spot any plot holes?

9. The dragon knows about Mordred and warns Merlin. Now, we all know he desperately wants magic to return to Camelot and the creation of Albion. If he knows the prophecy will come to happen, why didnt he do something about it? Perhaps make Merlin see the future, forcing Merlin to listen to him or use his powers to rid the boy himself? Instead I personally think Kilgarrah seems lame in his effort to warn Merlin. Let me know what do you all think? Agree or disagree.

10. This is an important line which holds a significant meaning in the finale. What is it? Talk what you understand in this lines? There is no perfect answer for this question, anyone's answer will be entertained so just let me know what is your opinion about this particulat lines.

MERLIN
You're telling me that little boy is going to kill Arthur?

KILGHARRAH
It seems that is up to you.
MERLIN
No. You can't know that for certain.

KILGHARRAH
You have it in your power to prevent a great evil.

12. What do you think of this line? I actually laughed.

MORGANA
I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to either of you. We must go. (she is talking to Gwen and Merlin)

13. Mordred knows Merlin and talks about how his people knows Emrys/Merlin. Why didnt they come forward and meet Merlin? They could have known about the young sorcerer and the prince through Merlin's words. And that could save a lot of things ... Let us discuss why didnt they meet Merlin?

All right ... i am not sure if my questions make sense or not but there are so many riddles in this episode which knots a lot of strings together only to be unloosened in the final episode of the series. Have fun watching and good weekend everyone.
Answer 5 : For me personally i think Arthur saved the boy for two reasons. First, Mordred was just a boy, a child and Arthur pitied him. Second he did it for Morgana. Knowing how attached she is with Mordred, it saddens Arthur to see her troubled. So he did what he felt was the right choice. Like a wise king, he made the right call.
If he knows about the prophecy I think he might still save Mordred because that's Arthur. He uses his wisdom to judge a person not just heart. He would have saved Mordred, made peace with the druid and asked for Mordred's forgiveness for his father's mistake ... and that surely would have turned Mordred the slayer into Mordred the brave knight.
And would have changed the future of both Arthur and Camelot, without depending on Merlin's powers.
 Answer 5 : For me personally i think Arthur saved the boy for two reasons. First, Mordred was just a
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک HumbleQueen said…
Ok. Hope to watch it later today while cooking dinner and do my questions tomorrow!
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک HumbleQueen said…
laugh
Well, I didn't keep my word and I'm watching some of it right now. I just wanted to ask one question that's been plaguing me? Why does Uther eat with his gloves on? I mean, come on, lol. Did Arthur do that?
MISAforever commented…
LOOL I don't remember he did. But I'll pay مزید attention now. پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
sportyshuie commented…
gosh, been super busy but will get to this tomorrow. پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
MISAforever commented…
That's what I've been saying! پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
The answers.

I hate Mordred but Asa was cute. In this episode, Mordred didnt have much to do except show he is powerful like Merlin. And of course the bond with Morgana. It's more like an introductory episode for him than anything else.
Asa is cute and i think he has a great future ahead. I loved him in hugo.

Asa, despite being mordred didnt have much for him except showcase glimpses of what he is capable of. Alex on the hand is burderned with the choice of staying loyal to Arthur or opting to reunite with his Morgana. He has more burden on him because of his powers and his choices. Asa did the intro whereas Alex completed the circle.

3. We are introduced to Druids more in this season than in the rest of the series. What do you REALLY think of them? Are they peaceful like Arthur mentions? Or are they a threat to the kingdom like Uther says?

I think it is all depends on our perception. They might be peace loving people with powerful gifts but when they are threatened, they opt to turn hostile to protect their loved ones and themselves. SO, in our eyes it seems they are hostile when in truth they probably not. Arthur believes he can bridge a relationship with them because he chooses to view them harmless but Uther finds them a threat because he knows he has angered them. But i choose to believe they are all peaceful people whom we can trust.

4. Talk about Merlin's relationship with Mordred. What do you make of it?

It's more like a brotherly relationship in the beginning because of the powers they share. BUT after Merlin learns the truth, he refuse to help because of his loyalty to Arthur yet he ends up helping probably because he feels he can change the destiny.

5. In the legends, Mordred is Morgana's son and in the series they tried to bring that concept to fruitation. Do you think it worked? Or not? State your reasons for any answers.

They tried i think but as they had to make Mordred older, i think they scraped the plan. Besides, Morgana and Mordred looked moe like brother and sister than mother and son.

7. Merlin is the most affected by Mordred's presence. His initial offer to help was genuine but after learning the prophecy he opts to ignore Mordred. Some may think he is being selfish but bear in mind, his mistake here is the one that leads to Arthur's death. Merlin is torn between humanity in saving his own kind and saving his friend. If you are in his shoes and someone of your own kind is being threatened what would you do?

It's easy to blame Arthur's death on Merlin, saying he didnt listen to the dragon and kill Mordred when he had the chance. But why not put ourselves in Merlin's shoes? Can we do it? Can we actually play god and take a life? No, i dont think anyone can. Some things were meant to happen and that's why no matter how hard Merlin tried, he couldnt do it or his plans wouldnt materialise. Arthur's doom is on Mordred's hand just like his was on Arthur's. No one saw that coming ... so, it's unfair to point at Merlin for everything. No one is more affected by this Merlin.

8. The dragon knows about Mordred and warns Merlin. Now, we all know he desperately wants magic to return to Camelot and the creation of Albion. If he knows the prophecy will come to happen, why didnt he do something about it? Perhaps make Merlin see the future, forcing Merlin to listen to him or use his powers to rid the boy himself? Instead I personally think Kilgarrah seems lame in his effort to warn Merlin. Let me know what do you all think? Agree or disagree.

I hated kilgarrah in this episode and finally in the finale! He KNEW!!!! And yet he did nothing. He makes Merlin shoulder the burden and the guilt while he sits in his cell, waiting and ordering Merlin to save Arthur and bring magic back to Camelot! Kknowing how much power he had, he could have done something to help Merlin out. He didnt and Merlin is left to take the blame and shoulder the guilt.

9. What do you think of this line? I actually laughed.

MORGANA
I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to either of you. We must go. (she is talking to Gwen and Merlin)

It's funny because after saying such an emotional line to her best friends, these two are the ones Morgana tries to hurt the most when she turns evil.

The answers. 1. Talk about Mordred and the boy who plays him. What do آپ think of him? I ha
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک MISAforever said…
--I felt bad for him in this episode. He was just a young kid and he already saw the evil as the face of Uther. I understand why later, still as young boy, he acted violently against the knights. But that's another topic. All I'm trying to say, he saw a lot and it hasn't been easy for him. Asa was brilliant and I loved him!

--When I first heard Alex is coming, I disliked the thought. But he was outstanding! I loved him, and I loved Mordred until the last episode. Asa is a young actor and he surprised me because he was really good!! Alex had to continue that, and he was even better!

--I tend to believe they are peaceful people. Especially the children among them! I always felt bad for them, for the style of life they forced to lead. And who could blame them for resenting Uther?! But I also believe they should have had a bigger role in the whole situation. Merlin knew Mordred was the one to kill Arthur, so I believe they knew that as well. And they should have acted on that matter!

-- Oh that's a complicated one! Not just in this episode. But it somehow remainded the same. He refuses to help him and in the end he ends up helping him. I call it plot hole! And one of the biggest mistakes as it lead to the end.

4. In the legends, Mordred is Morgana's son and in the series they tried to bring that concept to fruitation. Do you think it worked? Or not? State your reasons for any answers.
--Their relationship always seemed forced. I never saw the closeness they were supposed to share. Ever. He had that more with Arthur. But never as a parental relationship, but more as a fraternal.

5. Arthur shines in his role in this episode, exceeding his father in terms of wisdom and bravery. He proves why he is the greatest king ever lived when he decided to disobey his father and save a druid boy. Now, considering what happens in the finale, did he do the right thing? For this episode yes, it could be but let us see the entire picture ... did he do the right thing by saving the boy because we know what happens to him in the finale. Talk about it. Do you think the outcome of his future could have been different should he decide not to save him?
--I know it was the right thing to do. There are many futures, and by helping him he was going in the opposite direction from the one where they ended. He showed Mordred he had a good and honest heart. By not helping him, he would have been wrong. And by doing wrong you cannot do the right thing. Ever ever ever!! I blame Merlin for the man Mordred became. Merlin was the one to show him some evil, he always neglected him, never showed him trust. Hence, Mordred did what he did. So, only doing the right thing can lead to happy ending.

6. Merlin is the most affected by Mordred's presence. His initial offer to help was genuine but after learning the prophecy he opts to ignore Mordred. Some may think he is being selfish but bear in mind, his mistake here is the one that leads to Arthur's death. Merlin is torn between humanity in saving his own kind and saving his friend. If you are in his shoes and someone of your own kind is being threatened what would you do?
--That's a hard one. I do blame Merlin cause it was his choices that lead to Arthur's death. And the irony is that all he did was in order to save him. And I cannot say I would act any differently. There are many many plot holes in that whole situation, and it's a different discussion.

-- I love when Arthur saves Mordred and how he protects him.. I don't know if it is just because it's Mordred, or just a kid, but it was nice to Arthur as a protective man.

-- The mistakes that go through the whole series...

9. The dragon knows about Mordred and warns Merlin. Now, we all know he desperately wants magic to return to Camelot and the creation of Albion. If he knows the prophecy will come to happen, why didnt he do something about it? Perhaps make Merlin see the future, forcing Merlin to listen to him or use his powers to rid the boy himself? Instead I personally think Kilgarrah seems lame in his effort to warn Merlin. Let me know what do you all think? Agree or disagree.
--The dragon is a piece of shit, pardon my language! He was selfish, he only wanted to achive his goals, and always talked about Albion when he cared nothing about it. And all that was there again in the last episode. He just warned, he never actually did anything about it...

10. This is an important line which holds a significant meaning in the finale. What is it? Talk what you understand in this lines? There is no perfect answer for this question, anyone's answer will be entertained so just let me know what is your opinion about this particulat lines.

MERLIN

KILGHARRAH
MERLIN

KILGHARRAH

--There you go. Everything is sumed up here. I just hate the fact that in the end he told him he didn't fail. Cause he did. A big time. He had sooo many chances, with Morgana as well, and he blewed them up. Not intentionally, but that's what he did.

MORGANA

-- Now, this is sad... Morgana really cared, and I never understood who she could simply turn her back on Gwen and Arthur. Merlin did try to kill her though. They said it was her destiny, but screw that. It didn't make any sense.

13. Mordred knows Merlin and talks about how his people knows Emrys/Merlin. Why didnt they come forward and meet Merlin? They could have known about the young sorcerer and the prince through Merlin's words. And that could save a lot of things ... Let us discuss why didnt they meet Merlin?
--I'll call it a plot hole. Cause, as you said, it would make a change. The writors simply kept avoiding doing the right thing...
smile
Love all your comments joppa ... thank you.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Arina0122 said…
Well, I guess we are all busy. I watched the episode and seems no time to write a answer. Plan to soon.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Arina0122 said…
1.Talk about Mordred and the boy who plays him. What do you think of him?

At this point, Mordred is just introduced. There was not much to him. It showed the ability of speaking with his mind. Asa was cute and I have seen him in other things, but since he was playing Mordred; I kept thinking he was going to kill Arthur and I couldn’t like him.

Asa is a good actor; I didn’t feel he did much in this one. Now Alex, I never saw before and was greatly impressed by him from the beginning. He made me almost want to like Modred, however I kept thinking he going to kill Arthur. I will say more about him later.

In this episode it was hard to gage, who was correct Arthur or Uther. For the most I would have to say Arthur. The Druid man and boy did nothing but try and buy supplies and seem in a hurry to leave Camelot. They only defended themselves. The ones at the end seem thankful to Arthur for helping Modred and even said they were indebted to him. Does not sound like a race of people trying to bring destruction to Camelot; if they wanted to they could have set a trap for Arthur he meet them alone. Uther did not disagree with Arthur about the Druids being peaceful. In fact, he said never the less in reponse to Arthur saying they were peaceful which would imply he knew they showed no outward appearance other than peaceful behavior. More like Uther hated them just because of the magic.

Magic. It was strange here and later. There was this eerie atmosphere whenever the two were together. Maybe because Merlin is destined to protect Arthur and it is said that Mordred is destined to kill Arthur but they share this bonded with each other.
I must say I liked the look on Mordred face when Merlin said he had trouble getting out of the castle.

Yes, I believe they did in an adopted type manner. Morgana care and concerns for Mordred could be seen as family connection. Family is not based on just blood.

Arthur is so brilliant in this episode. Arthur always struggled between being loyal to his father and being loyal to who he was inside. Yes, Arthur showed great wisdom in this episode, more than his father ever showed. I loved how Arthur questioned his father decisions’ and challenged him about him sparring Morgana. Yes; Arthur did what was right even with the outcome. Yes, the outcome of the future would have been different because Arthur would most likely have ruled as Uther rules. Arthur would not be the man he is.

Yes, I believe Merlin is truly conflicted with what to do. This has to be hard for a few reasons. First, Mordred is just a boy who truly has done nothing wrong. Second, he has magic like Merlin and that make them similar. Third, how do you justify allowing an innocent person to die when on the grounds of what he might do.

Shallow moment: Arthur/Uther walking down the corridor. Arthur looks so sexy in that coat.

Kilgharrah tells Merlin is the boy lives Merlin cannot fulfill his destiny. In the finale, when Arthur dies Kilgharrah tells Merlin that he did fulfill his destiny. HMMM

Agree, Kilgharrah talked too much in riddles.

MERLIN

KILGHARRAH

MERLIN

KILGHARRAH

If I remember right the sword that killed Arthur was special, it seems to me if Merlin had never called and named Asthisa, Arthur would still be alive. It had more to do with the sword than with Mordred having being the one that injured Arthur; so Kilgharrah had as much to do with preventing the great evil.

MORGANA

Ha. Ha. My favor word and one I will most likely use a lot. Irony or ironic, how here she is so willing to protect them from Uther and later she did more wrong to them then Uther ever did.

Maybe this is another plot hole. If there was much written about Merlin and what he was destined to do, then Arthur should have been part of what was written. Coming to Camelot to see Merlin would be dangerous for them.
Nice Arina ... Well said.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک ellarose88 said…

I though Asa did a brilliant job acting without verbally speaking any lines (a part from talking telepathically to Merlin and Morgana and that final line to Arthur), but managed to convey so many emotions. He was scared, afraid, took comfort from Morgana and Merlin. No wonder Merlin couldn't hold back from trying to save him. I would have too.

I think Alex picked up beautifully from where Asa left the show. You can tell that he really paid attention to how Asa played Mordred in series 1 and 2 and brought his own interpretation of Mordred to the part. So yeah, I think they both were excellent as Mordred.

I think with any culture or group there are well-intended Druids and then are druids who do the wrong things (believing that what they are doing is right). So I think overall the druids are probably peaceful but the fact that they were hunted and killed by Uther made some of them very vengeful towards Uther and while you can't condone their actions, you can understand the reasons why.

What pisses me off about the direction the show took after this series (though series 2 and 3 were good) was that they didn't show more druid people (a part from 2x03, 2x11 and 3x13) because I would have found that interesting. I wanted to see the effect Uther's ban of magic had on the druids. It would have been nice to see Merlin interacted with them more.

I felt that Merlin's relationship with Mordred was one like an older brother to a younger brother. He wanted to protect him from harm and from execution. Merlin didn't suspect Mordred to be evil, it wasn't until the dragon told him of the prophecy of Mordred killing Arthur that Merlin changed his mind. Though he did find it hard to believe. And then when he did abandon Mordred and Mordred pleaded with him telepathically Merlin couldn't bear leaving the boy to die. His conscience kicked in. I really liked watching this unfold.

We obviously saw how quickly Morgana came to care for Mordred and her desire to protect him. Gwen and Arthur made comments about how much Morgana is willing to risk her life for a boy she barely knows. Did it work? Ummm yes and no. I felt that we should have seen more of Mordred's attachment to Morgana.

Agreed, Arthur was great in this episode. However, I feel we are questioning the wrong character when it comes to what happened in the finale when we consider the fact that Arthur had no idea of the prophecy. He had no idea that Merlin had magic and that Mordred had powers too. So when I look at the bigger picture, this is what I see. Merlin had plenty of opportunities to tell Arthur about his magic and about the prophecy and he didn't. I understood this for a while but after Arthur became king Merlin should have tried to help Arthur see that magic can be used for good as well. He didn't. Secondly, Morgana could have been helped to make sense of her powers, however, she wasn't. Then she was taken by Morguase and we know how that turned out. Uther's lie about being Morgana's father certainly didn't help matters there and Morgause used the opportunity to her advantage.

Thirdly, the way Alex played Mordred in the 5th series to me seems like he wasn't against Arthur, hell he saved him from Morgana. However, Merlin kept seeing what Mordred was going to do and instead of helping Mordred and trying to see whether Mordred could be a force of good, he did the opposite. Now, the issue with his girlfriend was a tough one considering the fact that she did try and kill Arthur and wouldn't agree to apologizing for her actions to save her life. Arthur wanted to help Mordred and he tried too, but in the end she did die and Mordred blamed Merlin and Arthur. Morgana used Mordred as a pawn I believe. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Morgana was behind Kira's actions. Mordred was blinded by his love for Kira and that motivated his actions. Merlin and Arthur failed to see the effect that would have had on Mordred.

But the main reason for Merlin's failure in preventing Arthur's death was the fact that three years in and Arthur still has the same laws against magic as his father. Merlin could have, like I said above, tried to educate Arthur about magic, that it can be used for good, the truth behind his mother's death and his birth and how many times it has saved his life, Gwen's life and many others. But the writers didn't explore this. I believe that if Arthur had changed the laws towards magic and began to reconcile with magical beings and the druids, it would have ended differently.

This is a tough question to answer because Merlin does want to protect Arthur, at the same time, he doesn't want to see a child being killed. It was a difficult decision that Merlin was put in to be honest. Either choice would have had tough consequences. I think the issue is that Mordred is a young child, still growing up and learning. He is being shaped by his experiences and the people around him. Because we don't know what happened to Mordred between series 2 and 5, we don't know what life was like for him. We don't know if he had good people influencing him. It makes me wish that Merlin had tried to stay in touch with Mordred and help him to use his magic for good.

When Merlin tries to get the keys from Arthur. But most of all, my favourite is when Mordred is pleading to Merlin to help him and Merlin changes his mind and does so. This is followed by Arthur asking Mordred what his name is and Mordred speaks the only verbal line in the episode and the fore-shadowing there was just perfect!

God, I'm too tired to finish answering these questions. I will finish doing them another time!
MISAforever commented…
LOL, take your time. love the answers! پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک