Arthur and Gwen Re-watching Merlin 2x04 - "Lancelot & Guinevere"

ellarose88 posted on Jul 06, 2013 at 11:17PM
Welcome back to our Merlin re-watch. We have all had the opportunity to re-watch series 1 with a whole new perspective. We saw how the characters were at the beginning and the journeys they all faced in series 1. Now it is time to continue our journey and re-watch series 2 and see how our perspectives might change seeing as we know how the story ends. (Thanks to the folks over at tvdotcom for ideas we’ve borrowed from them.)

Moderators for Season 2:
Ellarose88
HumbleQueen
Sportyshuie

[others...]

Rules are as follows:

I. We are getting started with 2x01 on Saturday, June 15, 2013 and a new forum will be opened every following Saturday. Moderators will post following the order in the list above to open threads and we’ll be watching the episodes in sequence. We will then be watching the last episode of Season 2 (2x13) on the week beginning September 7th.

II. Every moderator opening a re-watching thread should copy and paste the information in this entry (Introduction, List of moderators and Rules) at the top. That way, keeping track of the turns and our progress will be easier and also having the rules at hand will be useful for those who may have decided to join us part way through.

III. Everyone opening a re-watching thread is responsible for reminding the next person in the list to do the same the following Saturday (sending a pm on Friday should do it).

IV. Anyone not being able to open a thread on a particular Saturday can swap turns with the next person in the list (or anyone else) as long as they keep track of their respective turns.

V. People taking part can jump in with comments, but just because you watch and comment on a particular episode does not mean it’s compulsory to watch every single episode to be a part of this re-watching.

VI. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. Also, new moderators will be added to the list when we get them.

VII. If you don’t have dvd’s or subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime, the first four seasons are available free (with ads) on hulu: link

Also famfan suggested www.cokeandpopcorn.eu/watch-merllin­-ooon­­­­­l­i­n­­­­e.­­­p­­­h­­p

VIII. Constructive criticism of characters/actors is always in order, but please no bashing.

IX. Let’s have fun down memory lane. Be inspired to do fanfics, fanvids, and fanart.

X. Each week the moderator will post questions/headings and suggestions for people to discuss about the episode, the plot, the characters and relationships. Don't feel pressured to answer every question/headings, answer the questions you want. Feel free to add anything about the episode, even if it isn't mentioned. It's more than welcomed!

Now let's continue our re-watch of Series 2 with Lancelot & Guinevere....
 Welcome back to our Merlin re-watch. We have all had the opportunity to re-watch series 1 with a whol

Arthur and Gwen 6 جوابات

Click here to write a response...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک ellarose88 said…
Here are the questions/headings and suggestions for discussions:

+ Best moment(s):
+ Worst moment(s):
+ Favourite quote(s):
+ Your thoughts on the villain of the week:
+ Best character development:
+ Best duo development:
+ Your thoughts on the Arthur/Gwen/Lancelot triangle:
+ Your thoughts on the plot progression and conclusion:
+ Anything else:

Things you might discuss:

+ What did you think of the feelings that were showed between Gwen and Lancelot? Do you think that the events of the episode had bearings on how Gwen responded to Lancelot's advances? Or were they genuine?

+ What did you think of the bandits plan to have Gwen impersonate Morgana? Especially considering that Uther wouldn't try and save a servant.

+ What were your thoughts when Gwen saw Arthur (and Merlin) appear to save her and Lancelot? Do you think that her heart had already chosen Arthur, seeing as he got very upset when Arthur said he only came because Morgana begged him to?

+ How did you feel about Arthur/Merlin friendship in this episode? Did you like how Arthur opened up to Merlin about his feelings for Gwen?
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک sportyshuie said…
My favourite episode ...
MISAforever commented…
Really? well i cannot wait to hear why. i am gonna do this onr سے طرف کی thr end of the week.. پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
hapybeinginsane commented…
I have loads of time at the mo, so I'm definitely going to have a go at this as soon as I can get ahold of the episode (if that's okay with all the mods and everyone - I've never done this before!) Thankyou for organising everything ellarose88! پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
MISAforever commented…
Just jump in wherever and whenever آپ want! :D پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک MISAforever said…
+ Best moment(s):
I think that'd be in the woods, when they resucued them, and Arthur said he only came because Morgana begged him. The look they exchanged spoke so much instead of the unspoken words. He was so obviously hurt by the whole situation and he lied and she so right through him. I loved that little moment. It was like they, for a second there, actually acknowledged the whole situation.
I also loved Arthur's opening up to Merlin, but I'll get to that later.

+ Worst moment(s):
Shallow me here, Lancelot and Guinevere's kiss ( that I still pretend never happened). It was all out of the place. I was still new to the show when I watched this episode, and still not completely dedicated to Arwen, but I felt like all about them was so forced and fake and awkward..

+ Favourite quote(s):
Morgana: How can you be so heartless? Gwen is the most kind, loyal person you'd ever meet and she's been more than a friend to all of us, and you would leave her at the mercy of those animals?

Arthur: I can't. How can I admit that I think about her all the time? Or that I care about her more than anyone? How can I admit that I don't know what I'll do if any harm comes to her?
Merlin: Why can't you?
Arthur: Because nothing can ever happen between us. To admit my feelings, knowing that... hurts too much.

Hengist? He was, well disgusting! I didn't like him at all, so I guess he did his part well!

Not sure about this one. I think I'll go with Arthur, cause he once more defied his father and followed his heart. That is always a development for Arthur.
Also Gwen, cause there was so much more of her than in the prevoius episodes. We saw more of her brave side, but also the vulnerable one. She was so confused and scared. Angel played it brilliantly as always.

+ Best duo development:
I'd say Merlin and Arthur. They really acted like best friends, with Arthur confiding in him and opening up.

I think you all know I am not a fan of it. XD Arthur and Gwen's relationship was slow and still in the beginning. They were nowhere, feelings clearly there but also all the obstacles. And we saw a hint of Lancelot and Gwen in season 1, but it was even less than a hint. I never saw they had mutual feelings, maybe some sort of liking it each other, but I wouldn't even call it a crush. At least not from Gwen's point of view. And when she saw him here, it sort of implied she once loved him and still does. Which didn't make any sense. I think that she was awfully scared and confused and thought she was going to die. Then she saw a friendly face, someone who clearly had feelings for her. It was hope in a hopless time and she hang to it. I don't think it was love. I know it wasn't; not a chance. She liked someone else, who was unattainable for her. And there was Lancelot, who was very much available. What convinced me the most about what I am saying, is the fact she ran away for her life when he gave her a chance and didn't look back for him, didn't wait for him. You don't do that to someone you have feelings for!

+ Your thoughts on the plot progression and conclusion:
I liked it. It had everything. It was consistent, and it involved everyone: Uther being ruthless, Morgana really caring about Gwen, Arthur and Merlin, Arthur and Gwen and the others!

+ What did you think of the feelings that were showed between Gwen and Lancelot? Do you think that the events of the episode had bearings on how Gwen responded to Lancelot's advances? Or were they genuine?
I think I already answered this one. I wouldn't say they weren't genuine. Gwen is such a good person and she cares about everyone. So she did like him, but as a friend and a hope for a new day. And in those circumstances it was a lot. But once more, it was not love.

+ What did you think of the bandits plan to have Gwen impersonate Morgana? Especially considering that Uther wouldn't try and save a servant.
It was a desperate plan made in a desperate time. It wasn't even that bad. Especially considering Uther. They should have worried more about Hengist, though. To think no one will ever notice was a hude risk to take.

+ What were your thoughts when Gwen saw Arthur (and Merlin) appear to save her and Lancelot? Do you think that her heart had already chosen Arthur, seeing as he got very upset when Arthur said he only came because Morgana begged him to?
I don't think Gwen dared to hope Arthur would come for her. It would hurt to much to hope and to not see him come. And when she saw him, she saw the look on his face when he realised what was going on. And to see him hurt, she was hurt as well. That also showed she loved him, even though she was not ready to fully admit that to herself. She knew when he lied about the reason he came, but it still hurt her. It was a very complex situation. She hurt Arthur and she loved him, and she gave Lancelot a hope, and she didn't love him.

+ How did you feel about Arthur/Merlin friendship in this episode? Did you like how Arthur opened up to Merlin about his feelings for Gwen?
I absoutely loved it. It is one of the reasons why I love this episode. His speech is something I know by heart and I will always know. It was so honest and vulnerable and so unlike Arthur and yet it was his very soul that talked. It was so beautiful.
 + Best moment(s): I think that'd be in the woods, when they resucued them, and Arthur کہا he only
MISAforever commented…
sorry about all grammar mistakes. I am too tired to spell check. پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
ellarose88 commented…
I totally agree with آپ Joppa about Lancelot and Gwen. That was the worst kiss ever. آپ can tell A/G were gonna be end!game as their kisses آپ can see and always are bright and filled with light. I've never believed that Gwen was in love with Lancelot as they never spent the time together for their feelings to grow. And even if they did, I believe that Gwen would choose Arthur over Lancelot anyway for many reasons. But yeah, I totally agree with آپ on so many great points آپ made! پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
HumbleQueen commented…
I'll read all this after I watch. I have been out of commission again but pan to watch ep. 5 tonight as I'm up next! پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک HumbleQueen said…
THIS IS ALL ABOUT ARTHUR AND GUINEVERE, NOT LANCELOT AND GUINEVERE!!!!!! Ok. Got that off my chest. Going to watch episode 5 as it's my turn. I'll post it tomorrow. I may not have much time to comment on the last two as I've been off with family life, etc. Back for a while now.
ellarose88 commented…
That's okay Nanna! And honestly, I've only just caught up and watched 2x01 and 2x02 and still managed to host the discussions. پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
MISAforever commented…
I cannot wait for your POV. پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
I havent watched it yet ... Im so let behind, sorry guys. Promise will do so soon as im checking the physio becuase of my recurring back pain. Been feeling tired lately ... But will do soon .. Promise.
MISAforever commented…
no worries Shu., آپ just feel better babe <3 پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
+ Best moment(s):
Everything that had arwen in it and please forgive me folks ... lancelot! (please dont throw potatoes at me). I love lancelot in this series because he was portrayed as noble and loyal to Merlin. Yup, i am sure everyone is expecting me to say Arthur but i really love the friendship lancelot and merlin shares.
But the best of the crop moment is the time where Arthur says he came because morgana begged him and the look Gwen gives him. PHEWWIT!!

+ Worst moment(s):
The lizard thing ... whatever its name is .. Gross!

+ Favourite quote(s):
"How can I admit that I think about her all the time. Or that...I care about her more than anyone. How can I admit that...I don't know what I'll do if any harm comes to her?"

All right in my opinion .. seems to serve the purpose. But if it wasnt for him Arthur and Gwen wouldnt have united ...

Lancelot because we see his development after he left Camelot. I know this will not go well with alot of you but i really liked the way Lancelot was developed in the series, minus the shade of course.

+ Best duo development:
Lancelot and Merlin's friendship. I simply adore these two and love how Lancelot feels free to confide in Merlin and listens to him. And Merlin, knowing Lancelot's love for Gwen respects that.

Nicely done. Better than the thrash we were exposed to in the books.

Progressive. I like how Arthur trusts Merlin to confide his feelings for Gwen. That really goes to show that ARthur sees Merlin first as a friend and then as his servant. It was definately a start to the wonderful and respectful friendship both has.

I think Gwen was really confused. She loved Arthur, no doubts about that but she didnt dare to hope because of their social status and at the same time she didnt expect to meet Lancelot and knowing that her end was close, she gave him hope because she didnt think Arthur would come for her. And when Arthur did, i think she has already decided whom she loved. Her tears for Lancelot at the end was probably because she wasnt able to thank him and tell him the truth not because she loves him.
This is what i think.
MISAforever commented…
I love your answers. I won't throw potatoes, don't worry LOL I actually really like to read something from a different perspective! پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
sportyshuie commented…
Lol ..thanks mille ... پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک