No, this is not another مضمون in defense of the Classic Princesses (though the subject may be brought to atention and آپ may be annoyed). This a follow-up to my review of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
. I decided that besides reviewing each Disney Princess movie, I'll also review the protagonist (a.k.a the princess herself). So, before I اقدام into reviewing (and watching, not in that order) Cinderella, I'm doing this مضمون reviewing Snow White, the character herself.
Diferent from what happens with my reviews of the movies, I won't give her a score for each section. I'll just, well, take a deep look into her personality.
So, let it begins. Origins
As آپ all know, the Disney's Snow White (and the movie) is based of the fairytale character. In the story, told سے طرف کی the Brothers Grimm, Snow White is a seven years-old little princess who lives in a قلعہ with her stepmother and the strangely absent-in-the-story King, her father.
However, what some of آپ may not know, is that in the earliest versions of the fairytale, the Queen was actually Snow White's mother! Of course, the Brothers Grimm must have considered this too much scary and for that reason, rewrote the story.
I, personaly, find the fairytale's character much less sympathetic than the one brought to us سے طرف کی Disney. Instead of cleaning the Dwarfs' cottage, she acts as a sort of Little Goldilocks - eating a bit of their food and then sleeping in their beds. It's only after the Seven Dwarfs find her asleep, that she agrees to take care of the house, for that was the condition they imposed.
Also, she is too gullible, being tricked سے طرف کی the Queen three times - with a bodice, a comb and finally, the famous apple. I find it annoying she didn't learn after the first time. Actually, when the Queen comes disguised as an apple-seller, she (the Queen) actually takes a bite - from the white side, the one without the poison. Really, there is no excuse, sorry. She should have told the woman to eat a bit of the other side, too. No excuses..
Also, at the end of the fairytale, where she marries the King's son she just met (and who, I might say, did not wake her up with a true love's kiss - one of his servants stumbled, let the coffin fall and the سیب, ایپل rolled out of Snow White's throat), she invites the Queen to her wedding. And what did little Snow White do? Put the Queen in burning hot iron shoes in which she danced 'till she dropped dead.
The punishment fits the crime, perhaps - but it's cruel, nevertheless. I can't imagine Disney's sweet Snow White watching someone be treated with cruelty and doing nothing.
Also, her age when marrying the prince? Seven. Yes, the times passed is not specified, but it's کہا that she remained the same through it. That's creepy. I don't think even in the Middle Ages girls married so soon. At the age of twelve, maybe, but seven? I don't think so. The Disney Character
I love what Disney did to this character. She is so sweet and wondeful, but at the same time so multi-layered, that I have to go throught each of her personality traits. Most of them, of course, are carefully hidden, for an openly strong-minded heroine would be scandalous to the viewing public of that era, the 1930's. A much مزید subtly strong one was much مزید suitable, and Walt definitely knew how to conceal many subtle sides to Snow White's bubbly sweetness. Optimism
- Of course, what would be of Snow White without her unique optimism? A very strong one, might I say. For it is one that remains unshaken سے طرف کی the many horrors Snow White goes through. Compassion and Motherliness
- Snow White is very compassionate and motherly. When she first sees the Seven Dwarfs' messy cottage, she believes it belongs to seven orphaned little children. Her دل is filled with warmth. I can imagine the horrific تصاویر going throught her head: skinny, sick little children resorting to eat what other people waste away. She believes she must be the best mother she can be to these children she doesn't even know. She cleans up their ہوم and cook them a hot meal, all the while coming up with all those little plans: putting the children to sleep at night, telling them stories and teaching them how to properly behave.
Of course, there's some guessing to my part, but we can all deduce some of this due to her initial reaction.
Also, when she sees that poor old woman
having a heart-attack, she forgets all of her suspicions (yes, because it was obvious she was not very comfortable with all those strange questions). Sweetness
- Another very important and obvious trait of Snow White, her childlike sweetness. She is very bubbly and is easily impressed, providing us some delightfully exagerated reactions as amusing as Ariel's first experiencies with the Human World in The Little Mermaid
. Bossiness and Confidence
- Snow White seems very confident when she bosses the Dwarfs around, telling them to wash before they dinner. That's only because she's very aware of the effect she can have in men.
Flirtatiousness and Sassiness
Oh... آپ must be Grumpy!
- As I کہا above, Snow White is aware of the effect she has in men. If she bats her eyelashes, the Dwarfs - even Grumpy - will do anything for her. Speaking of Grumpy, she just loves to tease him! "Cat got your tongue?", یا that amused note when she says "Bye, Grumpy", just after he falls in the water. Even when they first met, Snow White playfully mocked him. All of her twisted sense of humor makes her مزید human in the middle of how fairytale-like she is. Craftiness
- Snow White is crafty manipulative. It's not only of the kindness of her دل she cleans up the cottage, no - she knows she has to do something to give the owners a reason to let her stay. She openly says that.
When the Dwarfs come ہوم and دکھائیں even the slightest doubt of letting her stay, she once again resorts to her skills: cooking, sewing, cleaning... Everything they don't know how to do but need. And I think all of آپ know the deleted scene I'm always mentioning. "Don't let me ruin your happy home... I'm not afraid of the forest at the dark, یا the goblins". Ha! Emotional blackmail!
Maybe I'm forgetting some traits of her... but Snow White is so layered I sometimes have trouble remembering all of them! Inner Strenght
I might say Snow White is one of the strongest Disney Princesses. When I mean strong, I mean mentally strong, not physically strong. Her optimism never wavers once and she deals with separation from her One True Love undeniably well. She also doesn't seems very confused سے طرف کی things - she is able to concentrate in what makes her happy. When the Prince wakes her up, she doesn't wonders why and how she was sleeping in a coffin - no, she focuses in the fact that her first sight when awakening was her Prince. And she is simply happy because of that. Doer یا not-Doer? The Encyclopedia of Walt Disney's Animated Characters
says: "[...]Snow White is herself in many ways something of a cypher: a character to whom things happen rather than a doer.[...] The only time during the movie that Snow White acts on her own initiative and exerts her personality is while she is cleaning up the cottage and then "adopting" the Dwarfs. Otherwise she is forced یا led to do things: she is chased of into the forest سے طرف کی the Huntsman;she is led سے طرف کی the animals to the cottage; she is persuaded سے طرف کی the Witch to eat the apple; she is brought back to life سے طرف کی the kiss of the Prince."
I'm sorry, but I disagree. Every princess is led to do things: Mulan, for an instance, goes to the war dressed up as a man to save her father, not because she wants to. This don't mean she doesn't do thing in her own. The same with Snow White. Its her iniciative finding a place to stay, even though she is led to the cottage سے طرف کی the animals, not theirs. Age and Design
People are always criticizing Snow White because of her age. She's fourteen years-old. But I think that was just the right choice. Walt surely knew what he was doing. He wanted realism, and he couldn't have it with a girl of sixteen boobless and waistless. It would be scandalous! But he could have a girl of fourteen with much مزید subtle curves, less developed. A slight swell of a breast... a not to tiny waist.. That was very unnoticeable for the parents of the children who would see the movie protest. In fact, most people see Snow White's body curveless, but I can see what I already mentioned. And frankly? I wouldn't mind if her body was really curveless. As a child, I never paid attention to it, but to her face, her short hair, her dress... much مزید noticeable features and evaluated سے طرف کی the Magic Mirror, an important character.
I don't see her as plain یا ugly as some say. Sure, she's not stunningly beautiful, but I find her cuteness مزید appealing than most of the other princesses' gorgeous looks. I like her hair the way it is and I don't like her big forehead in the scene where she tells the Dwarfs to wash. But oddly enough, I love it in the scene where she waves them goodbye. It looks esquisitely charming.
Overall, she's truly the fairest in the land. Overview
Snow White is not as passive as people say. She's sweet and optimistic, but also very crafty and sassy, with a funny sense of humor. To this day, she's one of Disney's most مقبول females and I can see why: she's too charming to resist!
Thank آپ for reading this. Hope آپ enjoyed, and 'till اگلے time, my faithful readers!