Learning Mandarin Chinese Lesson _ Go on a diet

gangking08 posted on Jul 12, 2008 at 01:14PM
In China nowadays, slimming has become a fashion, an inevitable topic for young people, especially for young girls. To get a slim body, many of them are even willing to suffer starvation. Now, let's come into their craze and try to get what they are saying.

袁媛:饿死我了!
Yuan Yuan: I'm terribly hungry!
萧潇:怎么啦!袁媛?
Xiao Xiao: Yuan Yuan, what's wrong with you?
袁媛:我一天没吃东西了。
Yuan Yuan: I haven't had a bit to eat all day.
萧潇:你这是干吗啊?
Xiao Xiao: Why?
袁媛:减肥啊!
Yuan Yuan: I'm going on a diet.
萧潇:减什么,你一点儿也不胖!再说,胖点儿没什么大不了的。
Xiao Xiao: It was really unnecessary to do so, as you are not fat. Besides, slight fatness is not that serious.
袁媛:你身材那么好,当然不担心啦。
Yuan Yuan: You are so slender and of course needn't worry about your figure.
萧潇:我?我才不管那么多呢!我­要享受­生活,­看着那­么多美­食不能­吃,那­可太郁­闷了。­
Xiao Xiao: I just do not care so much. I'd like to enjoy the life. It's really distressed thing to stay away from so many fine foods in sight.
袁媛:要是我像你这样,想吃什么就吃什么,男朋友会说我的!
Yuan Yuan: If I do eat whatever I want like you, my boyfriend will definitely blame me.
萧潇:哎呀,别太在意那些话,左耳进右耳出就行了。
Xiao Xiao: Well, don't take his words too hard. Just let it go in one ear and out the other.
袁媛:不行,我可不能对自己不负责任。
Yuan Yuan: Oh, no. I should be responsible for myself.
萧潇:每天饿肚子才是对自己不负责任呢!
Xiao Xiao: It's only irresponsible of you to starve yourself.
袁媛:唉!真没有共同语言!
Yuan Yuan: Well, we are not on the same wavelength.
萧潇:唉!随你的便吧。
Xiao Xiao: Have it your way!

Did you understand it? As there are so many idiomatic expressions in it, let's appreciate them one by one.
 ① 饿死了
Does "死了" mean "dead" here? "饿死了" can of course mean really "die of hunger" and "die of exhaustion". However, in everyday life, like the English word deadly, it usually mean "very, terribly". So, "饿死了"means "extremely hungry" here.
Similarly, "累死了" usually does not mean "die from exhaustion", rather it expresses one's physical exhaustion in an exaggerated manner, meaning the same as "very tired". The use of the word "死" simply serves to add vividness to one's expression. So an adjective denoting one's feelings, when modified by the words "死了", can express such emotion to the maximum.
 ② 干吗啊
In colloquial Chinese we often say "干吗啊" to express "why" or "for what". When you don't understand why somebody has done something, you can use this expression.
 ③ 没什么大不了的
Here it means "it doesn't matter, it is not that serious, and it won't lead to a bad result". When your friend is worried about something, you can say, "别担心,没什么大不了的", "Well, don't worry. It is not that serious."
 ④ 郁闷
It means "Depressed, distressed". When you run into trouble or come across something bad and you feel you can do nothing to alter the situation, you can use this expression to describe your feelings. For example, having been window-shopping all afternoon, you end up finding nothing you like. At this time you will say to yourself, "真郁闷".
 ⑤ 随你的便吧
When you have done all you can to persuade your friend and yet he still won't listen to you, you may become exasperated and want to leave him alone. At this time the sentence that best expresses your anger and resignation is "随你的便", similar with "none of my business or have it your way".
★ Idiom------左耳进右耳出   (to go in One Ear and out the Other, not to take one's advice)
例:我告诉了你多少次上班要准时­?可是­,你对­我的话­老是左­耳进右­耳出。­现在,­我只好­解雇你­了。
E.g. How many times have I told you to get to work on time? But my words just go in one ear and out the other. So I don't have any choice but to fire you."
Do you want to learn Chinese more?
One-on-one online live (not pre-recorded) Chinese lessons with professional and native Chinese teachers.
Entering : link and Free Trial Now!

Learning Mandarin No جوابات