Debate Swearing.

duckey94 posted on Jan 22, 2009 at 09:22PM
Alright, so we were kinda talking about this in Forensics, and I thought it was an interesting topic. If I were to constantly say "Chair!", instead of swearing, whenever one would normally swear, would it become a swear word itself?

The meaning of the word "Chair" isn't bad or gross or innapropriate at all, like most other swear words are, but if I were to use it as a swear word, wouldn't it come to have a bad meaning?

On the one hand, words are only what we make of them. We can make them bad or positive or taboo'd. But, on the other, how can a word so innocent as chair, even if being used in a negative manner, come to mean the same thing as shit or damn?
last edited on Jan 22, 2009 at 09:34PM

Debate 12 جوابات

Click here to write a response...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Snerkie said…
I'd have to say no. There is already a meaning to the word "chair" and it isn't a "gross" meaning or a "sexual" thing like other swearwords are. So yeah I don't think it would become something inappropriate as we all use chairs without 1 person laughing at it.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک duckey94 said…
In Iraq, they find shoes to be offensive because it's at the bottom of their feet and the lowest of the low. So, I could argue that because we sit on chairs and our butts are always touching them, they could be a negative thing as well. And if I started to bring that out and react to the word "chair" in a negative manner and with disgust, it may catch on and begin to take that meaning.

Actually, the C word, which is generally accepted as the worst swearword, was actually acceptable speech back in Shakespeare's time. It didn't become bad until around the 17th century, after people started making it bad. And then, later, it started to be used for swearing.

So, if chair could be considered bad and words that are bad can be made into swearwords, what's stopping it?
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک cocacola said…
hmmm
How about Unicorn? I can't think of anything wrong with unicorns...so I think that unlike chair, if you continually say "unicorn" instead of an actual swear, I don't think you could make anything bad of it...unless for innuendo...but I don't think even House could cause people to outlaw the phrase "Finding Nemo"
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Pixielf said…
It probably would. Words pick up meanings within the context they are used. for example, the word 'dumb' originally means 'unabe to speak' but it's picked up the meaning 'stupid'. I don't know about anyone else, but I think thats insulting for dumb people, as in people who can't speak.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک adavila said…
what´s the C word

here in Mexico saying eggs or white sometimes is like swearing
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک ToastedRabbits said…
It could, if it was widespread enough, I think.
Words change meaning.
Also, as a side note- Unicorn could be used as calling someone gay in the derogatory way.
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک harold said…
The unicorn was originally and traditionally symbolic of lust (hence the link with virginal maidens), so it could just as easily be deemed offensive as anything else.

But to the original question: it depends on what you mean by "swear words". The etymology of "swear words" is that when you were very serious about something, you would swear an oath by something you really believed as true and trustworthy, typically God or some other aspect of your faith. Thus in the US one must swear in a court of law to tell "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" while touching the Bible or analogous text from your faith. Some courts still append the "so help me God". The idea is that you are swearing by an inviolable authority, you're that serious about it. Needless to say, this has made it into everyday speech, where people will assert the truth or a claim or intent by invoking such similar phrases as "By God", "I swear to God", "Jesus Christ", "By Allah", etc. "I swear to God I'm not lying - he said that!" is still clearly using swear words.
In that sense, "Chair!" is unlikely to ever be a swear word, because you would have a very hard time establishing the chair as a trustworthy authority (the possible exception would be if you make a statement like "I swear to you as sure as I can touch this chair I shook the President's hand", but in that instance it's not really the chair that is the oath, but rather the senses of the speaker and audience - any object could be substituted with the same effect).

Where it becomes hazy is when the swear words become verbal habit, no longer an oath, but just a shorthand to indicate seriousness or emphasis. In linguistic circles these are known as intensifiers. "My God, it's true - you really did shave your head!" is not really swearing by an authority, it's just a verbal habit that is interchangeable with any intensifier. Substitute "wow" or "Oh S***!" for these, and they don't make a real difference. Those really aren't swear words in the strict sense, merely words used for emphasis. "Chair! I'm so glad to see you!" is pretty nonsensical, because again you'd have to explain to people what is so particularly intense about a chair (unless they've read Use of Weapons, of course - if you haven't, make sure to read an edition from the US, as the stupid UK cover gives the whole book away).

Then there's the ejaculative expletives, which are just sounds that people make to express injury, surprise, shock, wrath, etc. without really thinking about it. Someone cuts you off in traffic, you hit your thumb with a hammer, your friend jumps out of the closet at you with a kazoo: what most people say are ejaculative (that is, uncontrolled and explosive) expletives.
These are the really habitual intensifiers, and they generally are offensive/obscene (either to the speaker, the audience, or both) in order to convey the extremity of emotion involved, but they don't have to be. My great-grand aunt used to say "Thunderation!" as her expletive. It worked for her, and that's what matters, with expletives. "Chair!" is easiest to make an expletive, because it's in no way dependent on how others perceive it: it's not used as an intensifier, and it's not used for an oath. Basically, you can use any sound you want for an expletive. I myself change my expletives from time to time, in part fueled by discussions in this very club. At the moment, my favorite is "Fascot!" It's got a nice amount of plosives and it allows me to express hurt or frustration very well.

Finally, there's insults, which can just be expletives, or can be carefully considered verbal barbs. if you used "Chair!" as an expletive, it would be accepted rather quickly. If you used it as an insult, it might take more work. "You stupid chair! How many times have I told you to not call me in class?!" is going to get derisive laughter or blank faces rather than the intended message of outrage and contempt you might wish to convey. For chair to work as an insult, you'd have to establish in the minds of any potential recipients of an insult the demeaning nature of a chair. Thus, your examples (to extrapolate from what you wrote in comments) of "You lowly chair which is not even worthy to receive my farts! Come here!" is better than simply "Chair! Come here!" While both might work for you, the recipient of the first insult will feel it much more keenly than the recipient of the second.

(Edited to correct the US/UK edition parenthetical comment: I had the two countries' editions reversed in my memory)
last edited پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک MattsGoggles said…
meh
no way in hell...
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Frizzhead said…
monkey
You would have to give the word chair a meaning for example the word "gay" meant happy but became the word for two people of the same sex attracted to one another. it isnt a swear but if it is immaturely used as an insult
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک adavila said…
gay is an insult? now I´ve heard everything
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک Bleeding_inside said…
tongue
Gay has two meanings, 1.Happy and 2.Two people of the opposite sex attracted to each other. and then "Fag" has two meanings, 1. A Ciggerette, and 2. A "gay" person. Now a days you can't say much of anything without Offending someone, Like take rainbows per say. They say bi, gay, or lesbian people like rainbows. Anyone should be able to like rainbows without getting judged. I like them and I'm straight but I have no problem with Gay people. For swear words.. if I were going to swear but I couldn't say it aloud I would be all like "Oh crackerjacks" or dang it. Or something :D
پہلے زیادہ سے سال ایک AUSHEDGEHOG said…
laugh
CHAIR CHAIR CHAIR CHAIR CHAIR CHAIR CHAIR AM I CUSSING YET?